Seven years after the World Expo of 2010, the exhibition park will be transformed into an immense green lung on the banks of the Huangpu River in Shanghai: The Park of the 7 Forests.
Combining the layers of time to create a park of the 21st century
The structure of the park is grounded in the strengths of existing site elements within the historic landscape and reinforces, reinterprets and reassembles them in order to create a new geography:
- The ancient canals are recalled through a system of wetland marks and ecological lakes (20ha of water surface)
- The polluted and impermeable surfaces of the large industries are collected, treated and confined to create a valley landscape and a hill of 40m high (70% of the ground becomes again permeable)
- 4 pavilions from the World Expo will remain and be integrated into the cultural, artistic and scientific programming of the park.
- A new forest of 25,000 trees is planted and occupies 90% of the park
Between the past, present and future, the park is a living machine that speaks to the processes of transformation and recycling. The ambition is to make this a shared and transformative space that represents our contemporary era and inscribes itself within the swift-flowing rhythms of a rapidly evolving Shanghai.
The Park of the 7 Forests, a natural and purifying reserve in the middle of the city
The water, the rehabilitated soil, the topography and the forest compose a resilient and scalable ecosystem. Perceived from the exterior as a homogeneous landscape, the forest is defined by 7 different atmospheres perceptible in their changing colors over the seasons: urban canopy, enchanted forest, clear woods, wet forest, flowering forest, sports and educational routes in the forest, playground, etc.
- Program / Project: SHANGHAI / Expo Park
- Client: Shanghai Land Group
- Project management: Agence Ter (lead designer) + Tongji Institute + JFA + Concepto + ECADI + SLADI
- Area: 189 ha
- Date: 2017-2021
- Location: Shanghai, China