The coastline of Ravenna extends along 35km of the Adriatic Sea and is characterized by a heterogeneous, rich landscape, defined by artificial landscape zones on the one hand and natural zones on the other. These include the river confluences, dune landscape and historic pine forests. This project aims to redefine the entire coastline as single Maritime Park extending from North to South and from the water’s edge to the hinterland of wetlands and agricultural fields.
Four major actions are guiding the project:
- Revealing the water landscapes: the wetlands beyond the coastline have remarkable landscape qualities but today are undervalued. These will be re-connected to the coastline with trajectories that draw visitors through the pine forests.
- Reasserting the symbiosis between the pine forests and the sandy dunes: allowing them to be quickly understood as one of the critical natural landscapes of the coastline.
- Amplifying the potential of certain specific sites that are in contact with the sea: the squares on the seafront, the channel confluences and the urban parks.
- Promoting a slow, sustainable and nature-based tourism to complement seasonal beach tourism.
- Program / Project: Ravenna / Coastal Park
- Client: City of Ravenna
- Project management: Agence Ter (lead designer) + Paisa' + Studio Tassinari + Studio M
- Area: 35 km of coastline
- Date: 2017 - 2020
- Amount: 13M € HT
- Location: Ravenna, Italy